01. New allies, performance assessment triggered move to reshuffle Cabinet
A reshuffle of the Union Cabinet, said to be the last by this government, has been scheduled for Sunday morning. Four Ministers handed in their resignations on Thursday afternoon to pave the way for the swearing-in of their replacements.
02. Girl who filed case against NEET commits suicide
S.Anitha (17), a State Board student who filed a case in the Supreme Court against National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for medical admissions, has reportedly hanged herself to death at her house at Kuzhumur village near Sendurai on Friday.
03. ‘I’m here all by myself’: The Salman Rushdie interview
Impurity is important in Rushdie’s latest, ‘The Golden House’, set in the years of Obama’s presidency and the beginning of Trump’s
04. SC posts final hearing in Bofors payoff case in October
The Bofors ghost is back after 12 years, with the Supreme Court on Friday posting the final hearing in the ₹ 64-crore payoff case in October.
A Bench, headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra, agreed with BJP leader and advocate Ajay Kumar Agarwal that his appeal against the Delhi High Court May 31, 2005 judgement, quashing all charges against the Europe-based Hinduja brothers in the case, has been pending for long.
05. Narayana Murthy’s charges patently false, slanderous: Infosys ex-chairman Seshasayee
R. Seshasayee, former chairman of Infosys, has said company co-founder N.R. Narayana Murthy’s allegations against him on corporate governance lapses and irregularities in the $200 million acquisition of an Israeli firm were “patently false and slanderous.”
06. Lookout notice against Dera chief’s adopted daughter
A lookout notice has been issued against jailed Dera Sacha Sauda chief Ram Rahim Singh’s adopted daughter Honeypreet Insaan and key Dera functionary Aditya Insaan, Panchkula Police Commissioner A.S. Chawla said.
07. Good reason for look out circular against Karti, CBI tells SC
The CBI on Friday asserted in the Supreme Court that there was “good, cogent” reason for issuing thelook out circular (LOC) against Karti Chidambaram, son of former Union minister P. Chidambaram in connection with a corruption case.
08. Kerala govt. reduces distance between liquor bars and schools, places of worship
The Kerala government has reduced the distance between liquor bars in hotels with Four Star and above rating and places of worship and educational institutions from 200 metres to 50 metres.
09. ‘Shubh Mangal Savdhaan’ review: Cinema of small things
What is refreshing and hilarious in Shubh Mangal Savdhaan is the portrayal of sex as a familial concern; neither brushed under the carpet, nor turned into some boring biological lesson.
10. 10-year-old sets Guinness Record in limbo skating
He is just 10 but that has not stopped Devi Sri Prasad from setting not just one but four Guinness World Records for farthest limbo skating. The boy from Tirupati set history by skating 115.60 metres under 60 SUVs, in a rare and remarkable feat held at the Ramakrishna Housing Pvt Ltd, near the Acharya Nagarjuna University here.